Athens State University

 Friendly, affordable, and convenient – three hallmarks that make Athens State University a great place to continue your education.

At Athens State, we understand that career opportunities rest on your college education. Over 3,000 students each semester select Athens State because of this neighborly environment where over 50 different degree programs are taught by understanding and quality faculty.

Whether you work full or part-time or whether you are a full-time student, Athens State offers a course schedule to meet your needs whether it be day, night, weekend or distance courses. Because nearly every student is from North Alabama or Southern Tennessee, you will literally attend class with people you know. Don’t find yourself being just another student number. Consider Athens State University!

Campus Buildings

Beaty-Mason House

Beaty-Mason House photo | Beaty-Mason House – 1882 photo

Built in 1826 by the founder of Athens, Robert Beaty, the Beaty-Mason House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house, a few blocks south of the main campus, served as the home for four generations of the Beaty-Mason family before being purchased and renovated by the University in 1958 to serve as the President’s residence. It is currently undergoing extensive renovations.

Back to top

Brown Hall

Brown Hall photo | Brown Hall – 1909 photo

Completed in 1912, Brown Hall formerly housed the offices of the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Associate and Assistant Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs, and Institutional Research. Brown Hall is named for Florence Brown, a teacher who cared for those affected by a 1909 campus typhoid epidemic. Miss Brown lost her life as a result of her efforts, and her parents donated funds in her memory for the building of Brown Hall as a new women’s dormitory. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Back to top

Bullington House (President’s Home)

Bullington House photo

Currently serving as the President’s Home, the Bullington House was built in 1910 on the corner of Bryan and Beaty Streets on what was originally a portion of the estate of the McConnell family. The house, an example of the Free Classic architectural style, was purchased by the University in 2006 and was originally used for administrative offices before becoming the President’s Home in 2010.

Back to top

Carter Physical Education Center

Carter Physical Education Center photo

Built in 1965 and originally serving as the hub for the University’s athletic programs (which were discontinued in 2004), the Center is named for former Alabama State Representative Tommy Carter and his wife JoAnn in recognition of their support to the institution. The Center houses classrooms, the Athletic Museum, and the Delmore Brothers Collection. In addition to its use for physical education activities, the Center gymnasium is used for graduation exercises and for a variety of meetings and community events.

Back to top

Chasteen Hall

Chasteen Hall, just off the main campus on the corner of Clinton and Hobbs Streets, currently houses the offices for the Adult Degree Program and the Testing Center, as well as various classrooms and computer labs. The building is named for Dr. James R. Chasteen, President of Athens State (1981-1990), and his wife Melba. Originally owned by then Athens College, the building was sold and served as both a grocery store and a hardware store for many years before being repurchased by the University.

Back to top

Classroom Building

Classroom Building photo

The Classroom Building, housing a student lounge, and interactive and multi-purpose classrooms, was completed in the fall of 1998. In 2019, the Building also became the home for Academic Technology Services, the Technology Helpdesk, and lounges for faculty & students.

Back to top

Founders Hall

Founders Hall photo | Founders Hall – 1923 photo | Founders Hall – 1902 photo | Founders Hall – 1898 photo | Founders Hall – Chapel Carvings

Founders Hall currently houses the Office of the President, offices for Financial Affairs, and faculty and staff offices for the College of Arts and Sciences. The iconic building of the University, Founders was built in 1842 by the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Church on five acres of land donated by the Maclin/Hobbs family. This era of the institution represents the transition of the institution’s control to the Conference from the private female academy first established in 1822. A variety of additions completed over the years have tripled the dimensions of the original building. In addition to the various offices, Founders also houses a parlor and chapel, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Back to top

Freehauf House

At 415 Hargrove Street on the northeast corner of the campus, the Freehauf House contains the offices for the Director of Physical Plant and the Coordinator for Physical Plant Support. Built in 1920, the Freehauf House was purchased by the University in 2005.

Back to top

Kares Library

Library photo

The Athens State University Library opened in 1996, with the majority of the funds for its construction coming from private donations. In addition to the Library collection and offices, the building houses the University Writing Center, a Learning Commons area, and the Dr. Elva Bell McLin Archives Room.

Back to top

Maintenance Building

Completed in 1986, the Maintenance Building is located just off Hobbs Street on the east side of the campus. The building houses offices for physical plant staff, shipping and receiving areas, and equipment storage areas.

Back to top

McCain Hall

McCain Hall photo | McCain Hall – 1962 photo

Currently home to offices for faculty and staff in the College of Education, McCain Hall was completed in 1962. McCain Hall underwent a complete renovation and was rededicated in 2011. Originally serving as a women’s dormitory, the building is named for Dr. Virgil B. McCain, President of the institution from 1959 until 1965.

Back to top

McCandless Hall

McCandless Hall photo | McCandless Hall – 1915 photo

Housing the University Auditorium and serving as a facility for concerts, plays, and lectures for the campus and community, McCandless Hall was built in 1912 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hall underwent a complete renovation in 2013 to both restore original features and add modern facilities to ensure equal access for patrons. The Auditorium features a tracker-action pipe organ dating back to 1892.

Back to top

Patton House

Patton House photo

Currently on loan to the Athens-Limestone Children’s Advocacy Center, the Patton House at 413 Hargrove Street was purchased by the University in 2006.

Back to top

Sanders Hall

Sanders Hall photo | Sanders Hall – 1945 photo

Currently home to offices for faculty and staff in the College of Business, Sanders Hall was built in 1921; a total renovation was completed in 2010. Originally a women’s dormitory, the Hall is named for Col. W. T. Sanders, who presided over the institution’s Board of Trustees from 1896 to 1921.

Back to top

Sandridge Student Center

Sandridge Student Center photo | Sandridge Student Center – 1924 photo

Serving as the primary center for students and student support services, the Sandridge Student Center was built in 1967 on the foundation of the 1918 gymnasium and swimming pool. The Center was named for Dr. Sidney E. Sandridge, President of the institution (1970-1981), upon his retirement. In addition to a student lounge area, coffee shop, and cafeteria, the Student Center houses the Offices of Admissions, Student Records, Student Financial Aid, the Transfer Advising and Career Development Centers, Disability Services, and the University Bookstore.

Back to top

Security Office

Security Office photo

Once known as the “Little White House”, this small cottage just south of Founders Hall now houses the offices of Campus Security. The structure has served many purposes through its history, including use as a Greek house and for faculty housing.

Back to top

Smith House

Smith House photo

Located at 433 East Pryor Street, the Smith House is home to the offices for the Vice President of University Advancement, the Director of Development, and Alumni Affairs. The Smith House was purchased by the University in 2005.

Back to top

Waters Hall

Waters Hall photo | Waters Hall – 1991 photo

Currently housing classrooms, science labs, and offices for College of Arts and Sciences faculty and staff, Waters Hall was completed in 1957; an expansion and total renovation was completed in 2010. The building is named in honor of Mr. N. H. Waters, who was President of the institution’s Board of Trustees in 1957, and a loyal supporter of the institution.

Categories: News

Tagged as: