Sudha Murty, originally called Sudha Kulkarni was born on 19 August 1950 in Shiggaon, Haveri in Karnataka, India.. She is an Indian engineering teacher, author and a social worker. She is the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation.
Education and Career
Sudha Murthy has completed a Bachelor in Engineering degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the B.V.B. College of Engineering & Technology (now, KLE Technological University), standing first in her class and receiving a gold medal from then Chief Minister of Karnataka. She has also completed Masters in Engineering degree in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Science, standing first in her class and receiving a gold medal from the Indian Institute of Engineers.
Achievements unlocked by her: She became the first female engineer hired at India’s largest auto manufacturer TATA Engineering and Locomotive Company (TELCO). She was granted a special interview after she wrote a postcard to the company’s Chairman complaining of the “men only” gender bias at TELCO. She later joined Walchand Group of Industries at Pune as Senior Systems Analyst.
n 1996, she started Infosys Foundation & to date has been the Trustee of Infosys Foundation. She is a Visiting Professor at the PG Center of Bangalore University and also taught at Christ University. The H.R. Kadim Diwan Building housing the Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) department at IIT Kanpur and the Narayan Rao Melgiri Memorial National Law Library at NLSIU, has been inaugurated by the Infosys Foundation.
She has written and published many books. In which, two are travelogues, two technical books, six novels, and three educative books.
- Wise and Otherwise
- The Mother I Never Knew
- Three Thousand Stitches
- The Daughter from a Wishing Tree
- The Bird with Golden Wings: Stories of Wit and Magic
- How I Taught My Grandmother to Read and Other Stories
- The Old Man And His God: Discovering the Spirit of India
- Dollar Bahu
- House of Cards
- AND SO MANY MORE. IN KANNADA LANGUAGE AS WELL!!
She is a member of the public health care initiatives of the Gates Foundation. Murty’s Infosys Foundation is a public charitable trust founded in 1996 and Murthy is one of the trustees. Through Foundation she has built 2,300 houses in the flood-affected areas and has aided healthcare, education, empowerment of women, public hygiene, art and culture, and poverty alleviation at the grassroots level, setting up of 70,000 libraries so far. She is also helping out rural areas by building 16,000 public toilets in Bengaluru. The foundation has even conducted relief work during national natural disasters like the tsunami in Tamil Nadu and Andaman, earthquake in Kutch – Gujarat, hurricane and floods in Orissa, Andhra Pradesh and drought in Karnataka and Maharashtra. She frequently initiates literary festivals and participates in television discussions on women’s issues.
- The Government of Karnataka awarded her the prestigious literary award, the ‘Attimabbe Award’ –for her literary work for the year 2011–12.
- Sudha Murthy was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in India, for social work by the Government of India in 2006.
- Gold Medals and Cash Reward for coming first in MTech of all the branches of Engineering, highest marks in SSLC, University exams, and B.E. exams.
- Honorary LL.D (Doctor of Laws) degrees for their contributions to promote formal legal education and scholarship in India.
- ‘Karnataka Rajyotsava’ State Award for literature and social work in 2000.
- R.K. Narayana’s Award for Literature in 2006.
- The Attimabbe Award from the government of Karnataka for excellence in Kannada literature in 2011.