WHAT IS SELF DIAGNOSIS?
Self-diagnosis is the process of diagnosing or identifying, medical conditions in oneself.
OTHER WAYS TO GET IT DONE
It can be done by using study materials such as medical dictionaries, books, and resources on the internet. Not only that but if you have had a past mental health experience then you can figure out if you need a diagnosis or not. Due to your past experience you might be able to help yourself the next time. Another way could be that if someone around you had issues with mental health before you, then you can work on yourself after noticing the symptoms and measures they had and how they dealt with it.
One of the main challenges will be Misdiagnosis. It is defines as an incorrect diagnosis of an illness or other problem.
REASONS AND CONSEQUENCES OF MISDIAGNOSIS
- What might seem “normal” to you, might actually be something not normal.
- And conversely, what might seem “not normal” to you, might actually be something normal.
- You don’t know all the disorders that exist and the minute differences between them.
- The symptoms might actually be that of a physical illness.
- You may miss something entirely.
- You might harm yourself if you start medications (allopathic or homeopathic) based on self-diagnosis.
WHY DO PEOPLE DO IT?
- If there cant find proper resources.
- If they are not able to access the resources, that could be because of un-supportive family, money issues, cultural beliefs, etc.
- The research on psychiatric disorders is way too narrow.
- The resources available and accessible can sometimes be dysfunctional too.
- They might be in urgent need and want of help that they wouldn’t think of seeking help from someone else but end up doing it on their own.
WHAT DO WE LEARN AFTER THE SELF-DIAGNOSIS
After the self diagnosis we will be able to help ourselves in the future if we ever happened to face something similar. We can come up with support groups or even join one, that will help us maintain our mental health and help us in dealing with post mental health mindset. It is also learnt that after learning thoroughly about self-diagnosis we will be able to understand ourselves and even others who are going through something similar. You will see those changes in yourself and act accordingly to the situations around you.
If you are consider Self-Diagnosis, make sure you are thoroughly educated about it and work efficiently.
Article by : Haniah Mirza