When we do vigorous activity , viz., participate in long distance races , or play football , hockey , etc., after some time we feel a sense of discomfort . We feel some problem while inhaling . We feel like stopping the activity immediately . But , if we make up our mind to continue that activity then we feel relaxed and comforted . We do not face any problem while intialing . This stage is termed as Second Wind . Discomfort , which we face in the beginning , includes the following symptoms .
- Pain in chest
- Pain in the muscles , which are involved in that activity
- Feeling of reduced physical coordination
- Diminished neuro- muscular coordination
- Feeling of dry throat
But , in spite of these symptoms of discomfort , we should continue the activity . Automatically , after sometime , discomfort will be no longer these . So the phenomenon of recovery from discomfort at early stage is known as second wind . All the symptoms are eliminated automatically . The stage of second wind comes to the beginners but the experienced athletes generally do not feel it . If they feel it , they feel it at low level . Second wind also depends upon the climatic conditions . It has been observed that in cold climate , athletes do not face this stage . It is only faced if activity is too much vigorous .
Changes in Our Body Due to Second Wind
During the stage of second wind some changes in our body occur which are stated below .
- Breathlessness Disappears : Breathlessness disappears after second wind . Rate of respiration become less . Supply of oxygen becomes normal . The accumulation of CO2 also become normal .
- Muscles become Normal : After the feeling of second wind , muscles become normal . There is no pain in the muscles . The swelling of muscles begins to diminish . The temperature of muscles increases .
- Change in Blood Circulation System : In the stage of second wind , the waste products like lactic acid , acid phosphate , uric acid , etc., accu