• Named after its predecessor – procured career.
India’s first Majestic Class aircraft carrier
Formerly called Hercules – acquired from Britain in 1957
commissioned in 1961 as INS Vikrant
1997 – decommissioned .
• First airbase reinforced warship of India .
• Also known as Indigenous Aircraft Carrier 1 (IAC-1).
• IAC boasts nearly 75% indigenous content.
• Informally called INS Vikrant 2.
• Currently under construction and conducting trials by Cochin Shipyard Limited in Kochi, Kerala
• Weighs up to 40,000 tonnes • Can carry up to 40 aircraft.
• To operate MiG-29K fighter aircraft, Kamov-31 Air Early Warning Helicopters, the soon-to-be-inducted MH-60R multi-role helicopter, and the indigenously manufactured Advanced Light Helicopters.
• Third air craft career INS Vishaal – expected to be commissioned in 2030.
Project Sea bird
• Largest naval infrastructure project for
• 3 billion dollar programme. • Upon completion- largest naval base on the west coast and also the largest naval
base east of the Suez Canal.
• Project sea bird: project for creation of a naval base at Karwar on the west coast of India.
• Aims at providing fleet support and maintenance
• Will be able to support several major warships and at least 30 vessels submarines and yard crafts .
• Naval Air Base will also have a maintenance
• Totally spread across over 11,000 acres .
• Located on hilly terrain along the coast and by reclaiming the part of sea.