BIT, Sindri, was started as College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering in 1949 at Patna. It was shifted to Sindri in 1950 where it was renamed BIT Sindri. The institute is located 28 kms from Dhanbad railway station linked by rail as well as road. It has a sprawling campus of about 400 acres of land near the eastern bank of river Damodar. There are 25 hostels in the campus, separate hostels for boys and girls, catering the residential requirements of around 3000 undergraduate, postgraduate and research students. The institute is fully residential for students as well as teaching and non-teaching staff.