Earth Month is right around the corner in April, with Earth Day itself taking place on April 22. What is Earth Month, and how might you both celebrate the occasion and engage in your career development this April?
What is Earth Day & Month, and why does it matter?
“Close to 48 years ago, on 22 April 1970, 20 million people took to the streets to protest the negative impacts of 150 years of industrial development. In the US and around the world, smog was becoming deadly and evidence was growing that pollution led to developmental delays in children. Biodiversity was in decline as a result of the heavy use of pesticides and other pollutants. The global ecological awareness was growing, and the US Congress and President Nixon responded quickly. In July of the same year, they created the Environmental Protection Agency, and robust environmental laws such as the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act, among many. Earth Day is now a global event each year, and we believe that more than 1 billion people in 192 countries now take part in what is the largest civic-focused day of action in the world.”
Earth Day has grown so much since then, and many choose to advocate for our environment throughout the month of April.
Here are some ideas to celebrate!
- Spend some time volunteering outdoors! Whether you choose to give your time for a day, or for the entire month, volunteering is an excellent way to celebrate Earth Month while gaining valuable professional skills. Relevant experience doesn’t have to come from a professional job or internship; you can sharpen your communication skills and content knowledge anywhere. It’s also an excellent networking opportunity. What better way to spend a sunny Saturday than cleaning up Red Rocks with a bunch of new friends who also care about issues that resonate with you?
- Jumpstart your internship search by looking for opportunities in conservation, field research, sustainable transit, urban farming, water treatment and analysis, education and advocacy…the list goes on. Take some time this month to reflect on your career goals and come up with 5-10 organizations that you might want to target for a summer volunteer experience, internship, or job!
- Tune in to Sustainable DU. How might you support the Center’s upcoming events and initiatives this quarter?
- Reflect on your values and habits. In what ways could you be more sustainable this month? Are you open to educating others on sustainable practices? What about writing your representatives about issues related to sustainability?
- Explore careers in sustainability! Mark your calendars for our upcoming Dine & Dialogue on Careers in Sustainability on April 18 from 12-1pm! Register via Pioneer Careers.