For decades, Indian students have preferred to move abroad in search of better education, jobs, lucrative salaries and higher standards of living. Since during that time India simply didn’t have the professional prospects that other countries offer, so it was the most common motive among the professionals to study abroad. But even after nearly four decades later, the young population of India are following the same course. India has witnessed a massive expansion of its educational infrastructure and today it has one of the largest education networks, and third largest reservoir of science and technology manpower in the world still the problem of Brain Drain is deep- rooted. Well, the reasons for planning to study abroad are different for different individuals but what they all have in common is –“Better Career Prospects”
Let’s look at some of the reasons to Study Abroad
- Enhanced chances of getting good career opportunities– Foreign universities have extremely highly regarded higher education systems, and a huge percentage of the world’s highest ranking universities are abroad. In a globalized, well-connected world, employers increasingly value graduates with international experience and education. Also, studying abroad offers students a chance to secure a relevant job in that country.
- Flexibility in choosing courses-Foreign countries not only have accelerated courses but the options of “dual major”, “minor”, and “free electives”. That is one can even study something that is out of major.
- The Exposure– Studying abroad helps one to learn new languages, appreciate other cultures, and gain a greater understanding of the world. Also, one gets the opportunity to create a global network of contacts. Meeting students from across the globe can create opportunities to work for or with one another in the future. This experience one cannot feel in their own country until and unless they are coming abroad to study.
- Personal development-While one is studying abroad, one has to do his own work, find a job to take care of his/her living expenses. Thus, they will quickly become more independent, learning to rely on oneself rather than family for everything. It will also develop good communication and critical thinking skills and will help in boosting one’s self confidence as one keeps overcoming new challenges of a new environment.
- More Focus on skill building-Education system abroad is more focused on developing practical skills of a student and making him job ready, unlike India where the focus is purely on theoretical knowledge.
- Research Opportunities– It is a well-known fact that research opportunities available in countries like USA, UK rank way ahead of the facilities and funding offered in India. This is one of the primary reasons for studying abroad.
Thus, as we can see there is a visible difference in the quality of education offered in India and Foreign institutions. With the various scholarship opportunities available, better jobs, better securities, more income, international connection; it is definitely a better option for Indian students to go abroad for higher studies.