Plums – Poison For Dogs?


Can Dogs Eat Plums? Do Plums Harm Dogs? All answers you will get in this article.

Plums grow on large bushes or small trees and have beautiful white apple-shaped flowers. The fruit can be up to 15 cm round, and the colour varies from yellow to black. Each fruit seed contains toxins i.e. cyanogen, hydrogen cyanide, prunasin and amygdalin.


When the semen (bone or bone) is consumed whole, the acids from the intestinal tract break down the upper layers and release the toxins into the bloodstream and distribute them throughout your dog’s body.
If your dog suffers from plum poisoning, it will likely experience vomiting, tremors, and shortness of breath and can be fatal within an hour if not treated immediately.

WHY DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO EAT PLUMS?


The major problem is with the bone. It stays in the middle of the plum. That is a very choking hazard but also it is pointy on both ends which means that if swallowed it can sometimes cause oesophagus, stomach or intestinal damage.
If your dog takes a little bit of ripe plum, it will likely be fine. The pulp of a properly ripe plum is not poisonous to dogs of toxins, including cyanide. In addition to this, parts of the plum plant can also contain amygdalin, cyanogen and prunasin.

WHAT TO DO IF PLUM CONSUMED BY YOUR DOGS?


If you notice that your dog has eaten plums, try to find out how much it has eaten and what parts of the fruit, whether your dog has managed to eat a plum whole and only took a bit without it ingesting the plum kernel they are most likely to be fine.
But if they had eaten some other parts of a plum plant and have eaten it in a bulk then most probably you will watch the symptoms listed below


•Stomach problems
•Tremors
•Breathing difficulties
•Vomiting

If your dog is showing symptoms of plum poisoning, or if you suspect they have eaten a significant amount of plums, you need to call your veterinarian, who will likely want to check your dog for more signs of plum poisoning, and nitrite given via an IV drip may help that To remove the presence of cyanide from your dog’s.
First to be sure to always remove the plum’s pit. Doing so is essential as the pit contains cyanogenic glycosides (cyanide) which is toxic. Also, it presents a choking hazard.


CONCLUSION
So now we can conclude that dogs may eat a Lil bit of plum but not in bulk. They can also not eat any part of the plum plant like leaves, stem , roots and even bark. However it may not seriously harm dogs if taken in a small amount but suggest you to keep your dogs away from the plums.
Hope you all like this article. If your dog has ever eaten up plum then how could you manage that, tell me in the comments. Also, do share this article if you found it helpful.
Thank You