• Domestic violence in India between the period January and May, 2021.
National Commission for Women
• Recommendations – Committee on the Status
of Women in India.
• National Commission for Women – statutory
body in January 1992.
• National Commission for Women Act of 1990.
• Mission – To enable women to achieve equality
and equal participation in all spheres of life.
Securing due rights and entitlements
Suitable policy formulation, legislative measures,
effective law enforcement and scheme implementation. • Commission – solves specific problems arising out of discrimination and atrocities against women.
• Composition – Chairperson, member secretary and
five other members.
• At least one Member each shall be from among persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes respectively.
• About 2300 domestic violence complaints were
filed with the National Commission for Women.
• Time span of January and May 2021.
• The highest estimation since 2000.
• Total complaints recorded against the number of complaints received per one million women.
Most complaints – Uttar Pradesh
Highest complaint rate – Delhi
Kerala stands at the lowest
• Response of the victims.
• National Family Health Survey – About 70% of
Women who were victims belonging to major states
failed to inform anyone about it.
• Only a very few approached the right authorities.
Categories: News Update