We are taught about the basic traffic signs since childhood, but are you confident that you know all of them right.
THE HOW AND HISTORY
Traffic signs or road signs are signs erected at the side of or above the roads to give instructions or provide information to road users. They are very important as they are a major source of help to avoid accidents. There are many traffic signs or road signs that we are unaware of and if we happen to see them on road we are hung in confusion. The earliest signs were simple wooden or stone milestones. Later, signs with directional arms were introduced. Later all countries adopted pictorial signs to make people understand better.
THE NEED OF TRAFFIC SIGNS
There are a couple reasons why we need to follow and know traffic signs. Some of the points are listed below,
- Ensures smooth traffic as it informs the driver about the correct lanes to drive in
- Knowing traffic rules in India reduces the number of accidents by ensuring discipline of the roads
- Provide instructions and information on the road condition ahead
- All information about important curves and junctions, the presence of school and hospitals and speed limits is provided
- The traffic rules and signs inform the driver about entry and exit points and about parking areas
- Provides drivers to follow the traffic rules in India and about potential dangers on the road
SOME IMPORTANT TYPES OF SIGNS
Mandatory Traffic Signs
Mandatory traffic signs are made to ensure the traffic moves freely. With the knowledge of these signs, the drivers come to know about the prohibitions and the rules and regulations which they need to keep in mind while driving on the road. Some of the mandatory traffic signs are “Stop”, “No Entry”, “One Way”, “Right Turn Prohibited”, “Speed Limit” etc.
Cautionary Traffic Signs
These are the road signs which are made to inform the driver about the potential dangers and the hazards on the road. This ensures the driver is more careful. Some of the examples of these signs are, “Pedestrian Crossing”, “Narrow road ahead”, “Hair Pin Bend”, “Round About” etc.
These are the traffic signs with their meanings which inform the driver about distance, directions, alternative routes, destinations and important places like hospitals, schools etc. These signs not only help us to locate places but also reminds us to be careful of the crowd that might be present at the location.
Check out how many traffic signs are you really aware of!
Don’t forget to check out the signs you are unaware of. Educate others on basic signs.
Article by : Haniah Mirza
You must be logged in to post a comment.