• Specialized, financial investigation agency.
• Department of Revenue – Ministry of Finance
of the Indian Government.
• Origin – 1956.
• Enforcement Unit – Department of Economic
Exchange Control Laws violations under the
Foreign Exchange Regulation Act, 1947.
• Shifted – Department of Revenue for
administration in 1960.
• Renamed – Enforcement Directorate in 1957.
• Composition – persons who are appointed through direct recruitment.
• Directorate – officers from across different
investigating agencies on deputation
Customs & Central Excise, Income tax, Police etc.
• Headquarters in New Delhi.
• Regional offices all over the country.
• Headed by the Director of Enforcement.
• Major functions:
Investigating violations of Foreign Exchange
Management Act (FEMA) laws and provisions.
Investigating offences of Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 (PMLA) laws and provisions.
Processing cases of fugitive/s from India under the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act, 2018.
Adjudicating show cause notices issued under
the repealed FERA (Foreign Exchange Regulation Act, 1973).
Sponsoring cases of Preventive Detention
under the Conservation of Foreign Exchange and Prevention of Smuggling Activities Act,
1974 (COFEPOSA) with respect to FEMA violations and also
Rendering cooperation to foreign countries in matters related to money laundering and restoration of assets under the PMLA provisions.