The Arctic’s last ice area

 A region present in Northern Greenland was named the Arctic’s last ice area. This was named as such because scientists believed that this area was the strongest and most resistant to global warming. Global warming has caused some major effects around the globe melting of ice caps, ever-rising sea levels, erratic weather conditions all of these occur due to global warming. Due to various human activities, harmful gases and pollutants are released into the atmosphere which results in increasing the temperature and also causing a breach in the ozone layer.

Let’s take a close look into what the last ice area means; the National Geographic in the year 2015 estimated the climatic changes and their effects on our environment and predicted that by the end of 2040, the final place to able to withstand global warming would be this area. It’s devasting to imagine that in another two decades there will only be a small island on which global warming would not have its effect. Furthermore, the World Wildlife Fund also stated that the current climatic conditions are majorly responsible for the shrinking Arctic and are not a good sign for the future. They also made it clear that not only the animals residing in the Arctic are exposed to danger, but also the local Inuit societies that survive on these lands.

This area was regarded important as it would help sustain several species that require the habitat as and when the surrounding areas would have melted. This area is now prominent with several polar bears who use this region as their hunting grounds. But now this area has begun to melt, raising concerns all around the globe. Researchers have stated in a Journal published in “Communications Earth & Environment” in August 2020 this region recorded an ever-low concentration of sea ice; suggesting that the Last Ice area has begun to deteriorate.

The main question that arises is that when did the melting start. Well According to research led by the University of Washington, the initial signs of melting were observed in the year 2018.  They also claimed that about 80% of melting had occurred due to weather-related scenarios like winds and the other 20% was due to global warming. This has resulted in the gradual melting of ice caps throughout the Arctic region, causing panic among the locals.

With the additional help of satellite imagery researchers have identified that sea ice levels were less than 50%. Although satellite imagery cannot be considered to be accurate, it does give us an idea about how worse the situation is. The lead author of the study under the University of Washington also stated the alternate reason for the melting was maybe due to the open ocean causing a cycle of absorbing heat energy from the ice, forcing it to melt.

Although the results and studies are unsatisfactory in giving any accurate reason behind this, it tells us that the effects due to global warming have begun sooner than we had expected and we must get together and must prevent further harm to our environment.

Categories: News

Tagged as: , ,