Hello guys! Today I am going to tell you guys about a 400 year old art .
Abdul Gaffur khatri’s family is ” the only family in the world” that is keeping this art alive for almost 8 generations.
This art is called “The Rogan Art”.
The palm of the hand is the essential tool for getting this painting technique just right.
These designs were once popular throughout India, but the rise of industrial textiles forced many artisans to leave the craft for more lucrative work.
“Rogan means oil in Farsi”
- In this process the oil should be heated for two days until it becomes a honey-like texture.
- It’s a dangerous process only a few can handle.
- After it cools they combine the oil with pigment to create the paint.The above mentioned steps are only for making the paint now comes the main thing.
- In this art the use of the hand gives the Rogan art it’s unique nature.
- The paint needs to be swirled in the palm which in turn creates heat to thin it out after that the thread of paint is floated over the fabric using a metal rod.
Using the other hand underneath the cloth to guiding the paint and this process is completely free hand which makes this art more peculiar as the final design is to be anticipated and not ready made before.
Before it dries, they folds the cloth to print the design’s mirror image.which is timesaving and also the design will be symmetric.
But with the rise of mass-produced textiles in the ’80s,locals lost interest in these more expensive handmade pieces.
Many artisans couldn’t compete with mass manufacturers and dropped their crafts to find other work.
This beautiful art is also going extinct and covid-19 has the greatest impact on these artisans forcing them to leave this and find some other work for their livelihood as before they used to sell their pieces to foreigners but after the pandemic even that income has come to a halt.
We have to encourage them so that the art’s legacy can carry on and our next generations can also see this beautiful art.
Categories: Culture and History, Education, Learning, News, News Update, World
You must be logged in to post a comment.