There are two kinds of people: the night owls and the early birds. But if we look at the recent pattern the number of night owls have increased. People prefer finishing their work during their night time when everything around them is quite and there are no distractions. Oh the other hand there are people who believe in the saying “Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise”. These people are called ‘larks’ or as more commonly known as a morning person.
Switching from being a night owl to a morning person is easy but it requires a little effort on the part of the person. Let’s look at some tips for the same:
- TAKE A WALK: After you have had your dinner, go for a little walk. This will serve two benefits, one it is great for your digestion and second it will hep you tire yourself out leading to good night sleep and eventually waking up early.
- DON’T HIT THAT SNOOZE BUTTON: Snooze buttons are a curse for people who wish to wake up early. That extra 5 minutes of sleep is more relaxing than the 6-7 hours sleep you’ve already had. Something that could help with this little situation is not keeping your phone on your night stand before going to sleep. I advise you to keep your phone away from your bed, so that every time the alarm goes off you have to get up from the bed to turn it off and that is the push you need.
- CONSISTENT BEDTIME: If your bedtime is consistent, you will develop a healthy morning routine. After a few days you will automatically start waking up early if you go to bed at the same time every night.
- TRY A DIFFERENT ALARM APPLICATION: There are several mobile applications that are specifically designed to help you wake up on time. For example: the application consists of a bunch of activities you have to perform in order to get the alarm to turn off. These activities include solving a series of math problems or walking a certain number of steps or playing a memory game, etc. Performing these tasks is harder when you are not fully in your senses yet and thus these simple tasks are enough to wake you up from your sleep.
- REMEMBER YOUR GOAL: Always remember why you started doing something. Always keep your goal in mind. Always remember the reason you took the first step. This will go a long way in ensuring that the first thought in your mind is your goal and that will surely stop you from hitting that snooze button.
- REDUCE YOUR CAFFEINE INTAKE: Avoid taking caffeine after your lunch. This will help you fall asleep naturally and you wouldn’t have to force yourself to sleep at night.
- TURN OFF YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA: It is important that you stop scrolling through your social media while laying on the bed. This could consume hours of your time and also cause strain on your eyes and brain. Try to stay off the internet before going back to bed and also avoid checking your social media the first thing in the morning. It’s not good for you either way.
- MAKE A SCHEDULE: To develop a habit, you must make a schedule and ensure that you stick to it. It takes 21 days to build a habit and if you keep your sleep cycle the same for that duration of time, you will turn into a morning person eventually.
Adopting a new habit is always challenging. However, nothing comes easy. Everything requires an effort. Fixing your sleep schedule is a tough job but once you do that, you will realize that waking up early has it’s own benefits physically and especially mentally. So, if you want to get more work done during the day, you owe it to yourself to give these techniques a try.
You must be logged in to post a comment.