In this highly competitive world, everyone is trying to prove themselves in their areas of interest. Like men, now women are also pursuing their dream wilfully. They are the most competitive persons when compared to men. This doesn’t mean that men are incapable. Just that women are firm and strong enough to prove themselves. You may have a thought why am I talking about women too much? There is definitely a reason. Yeah! Today, I am going to share with you about an Indian Woman who marked her identity in WHO. I think you may have guesses or you should have found who she is? I think, your guess is correct. It’s our Soumya Swaminathan.
Everyone know about the “Father of Green Revolution of India”, Dr. M.S. Swaminathan, right? Soumya Swaminathan was the daughter of Dr. M.S. Swaminathan. She was born on 2nd May 1959 at Kumbakonam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Her full name is Soumya Swaminathan Yadav. Her mother, Mina Swaminathan, was an Indian Educationalist. Soumya has two siblings namely Madhura Swaminathan and Nithya Swaminathan. She was married to Ajit Yadav who was an orthopedic surgeon.
Now, let’s see about Dr. Soumya Swaminathan’s educational qualifications and her academic achievements.
- She received her M.B.B.S degree from the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune.
- She completed her M.D. in AIIMS, New Delhi.
- She got her Diplomate of National Board from National Board of Examinations.
- She completed her Ph.D., in neonatalogy and pediatric pulmonology.
Let’s see about her Career achievements.
- In 1989, she was a Research Scholar in the Department of Pediatric Respiratory Diseases in United Kingdom till,1991.
- She also worked as a Senior Research Registar, at Cardiopulmonary Medicine Unit in New Jersey.
- In 1992, she joined National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis, as a coordinator and later she became it’s Director.
- From 2009 to 2011, She worked as the Coordinator of WHO/UNICEF/UNDP, for a research and training on Tropical diseases in Geneva.
- She was the Director of ICMR and Secretory of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, in India from August 2015 to November 2017.
- From 2017 to March 2019, Dr. Soumya Swaminathan was the Deputy Director-General of WHO.
- In 2019, she has become the Chief Scientist of WHO in research about the SARAS CoV-2 and worked hard in this pandemic getting detailed reports from all the countries. And she conducted interview once in two week to make us know the exact situation of the covid.
Let me tell you some of the awards won by her. In 2008, She received Kshanika Oration Award from ICMR. In 2011, she was given an Lifetime Achievement award by the Indian Association of Applied Microbiologists. In 2016, She received Research Endowment Award from NIPER and ASTRAZENECA.
I am inspired so much by Dr. Soumya Swaminathan. Yes, now I have the spark to achieve something big in my career and want to reach heights like her. What about you? I hope you too have your own dreams. Give your full effort and just do it. She had proven herself and made her Father proud. Let’s be like her and make our parents proud. Her achievements show us, how capable women are!! How strong!! Okay, Come on! Women, have confidence in yourself that you can do anything and everything! If you can’t, who can!! Let’s make our India proud.
Some Reference Links;
You must be logged in to post a comment.