Citrus fruits are one of the nutritious fruits . This juicy ,sour or sweet flavored fruits are many types & is available in every corner of the world with their health benefactor nutrients . There are various types of citrus fruits available .
Some Citrus Fruits: 1)Pomelo: scientific name – Citrus maxima. It is actually originated from South East Asia. It is the biggest citrus genus fruit under Rutaceae family. It has white flower. It is very sweet in taste. And it is the forbearer of grapefruit. One of the ancestral citrus species .
2)Bergamot Orange: scientific name – Citrus bergamia. It is very fruit and with the color of beautiful yellow and green. It is hybrid fruit of other two citrus fruit , bitter orange and lemon Orange.
3)Bitter Orange: scientific name – Citrus aurantium. It is also called marmalade Orange or sour Orange. It is also originated from South East Asia. Its outer part is orange. It is a hybrid species.
4)Blood Orange: scientific name –Citrus sinensis. This name comes from the beautiful dark red colored juicy flash inside the orange. It is specially originated from Southern Mediterranean . Chrysanthemin is found in blood Orange in more amount than any other citrus fruit its outer peel is in color of orange.
5)Buddha’s Hand: Trinomial name –Citrus medica var. sarcodactylis. It is a very unique type of citrus fruit. It has some fingers like parts coming out from the main part. It is the colour of yellow. It can be found in India and China.
6)Desert lime: Scientific name–Citrus glauca. it is originated from Southern Australia New South Wales. It is very small size.
7)Citron: Scientific name – Citrus medica. Its origin is Asia. It is one of the original ancestor citrus fruit. It is very fragment and big sized.
8)Mandarin Orange: Scientific name – Citrus reticulata. It is also called Mandarine. It is a close species of orange. It is also a primary species of citrus.
9)Lemon: Scientific name –Citrus limon. It is also a hybrid spaces of citrus. It is originated from South Asia, specially Assam in India. Its color is young green or yellow. It has a very pleasant scent at its juice tests sour.
10)Graph fruit: Scientific name – Citrus paralisi. It is also a hybrid citrus plant. Once it was called forbidden fruit. It looks like tangerine but the flash inside is the color of pinkish red and it is sweet in taste. It grows in tree as same as graph Cluster. So, it is called grapefruit.
11)Tangerine: Scientific name – Citrus tangerine. It is also a hybrid species. Sometimes people mistake tangerine as Orange but orange and Tangerine are not same. Tangerine are quite small in size and sweet in flavor.
12)Sweet Orange: Scientific name – Citrus sinensis. It is related to bitter Orange. It is initially originated from Southern China, North part of India, Myanmar.
Apart from them there are many other citrus fruits are available in the World – Kaffir lime, key lime, kumquat, lime orobalonco, Papeda, Greek Citron, Amanatsu, Balady Citron, sweet lemon, Rangpur lime , Dekopon Orange(one of the costly orange in the world) and many more.
Available nutrients: The amount of nutrient varies for each citrus fruit. But the nutrients are same somewhat .
- Vitamin C is one of the common nutrients that is present in every citrus fruit in high amounts.
- Citrus have also fibers and sugar as carbohydrate.
- Citrus fruits do not contain any sodium, cholesterol or fat.
- It also contains calcium potassium, magnesium, phosphorus like minerals.
- For vitamins, it contains vitamin C, vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate, pantothenic acid etc.
- Citrus fruits contain lot of water in their juice.
- Citrus fruits can give more than 50 kcal energy.
- Lemon, lime, Orange, grape fruits, tangerines have high level of antioxidants like carotenoids, polyphenols, etc.
- Citrus fruits are good source of citrus acid and Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is one of the major elements in citrus fruit. Vitamin C has a very important role for boosting our immunity system by increasing the number of white blood cells. Thus, it prevents common cold and other health diseases.
- A 2014 research works shows that citrus fruits work against the risk of kidney stone.
- Grapefruit and other high antioxidant containing fruits are good for our cardiovascular system.
- citrus fruit juice has lots of water which helps to you keep hydrated.
- Citrus foods do not have any fat or cholesterol which helps to lose weight and prevent the rising of blood sugar level.