We often consider snacks “bad” because a lot of the time people only snack on unhealthy food. But, did you know snacks are as important as any other meals? Snacks if consumed correctly are a great source of energy and nutrients
So, here are a few tips on how to snack healthy:
Avoid eating straight out of a bag: We tend to lose track of how much we eat when we eat directly from the bag. So it is advisable to pour it in a plate or a bowl so you don’t end up overeating.
We eat what we see: When we are hungry we tend to eat the first thing we see. If you go in your kitchen and the first thing you see on the kitchen counter is a bag of chips, chances are you might eat it. Remove all the unhealthy snacks from your sight and instead keep fruits or nuts on the counter. So every time you are hungry you reach out for healthier alternatives.
Planning ahead of time: Plan all the snacks you will be making a week ahead. So, the next time you go grocery shopping you will remember to get the ingredients needed. This will allow your brain to be prepared for making the snacks knowing you purchased all ingredients for it.
Meal prep: Preparing healthy snacks might seem like a lot of work. We might give up and open a bag of chips instead.
That’s when meal prep comes to the rescue. We can meal prep by already cutting the fruits or veggies in the morning and place them in small glass containers. This would also make fruits look more appetising and chances are we might eat them. We can also use the fruits and veggies in making smoothies or eating them with our favourite dips. We can also prepare dips like hummus in advance to eat with our veggies.
Spice things up: We normally don’t prefer eating healthy snacks because we don’t think it tastes as good as junk food. So, we need to spice things up a little. Here are some healthy snacks ideas that you can enjoy:
- Making smoothies of your choice. Smoothies are filled with nutrients and they taste amazing. Add in your favourite fruits in your smoothies and you can always try mixing new things in it to spice things up.
- Adding pumpkin, sunflower, hemp seeds to your oatmeal or your peanut butter can add extra nutrition to your snacks. You can also add them to your smoothies.
- Add dips in it. If you are someone who doesn’t like eating fruits alone, you can always dip them in something you like. You can dip your fruits in nut butter or eat your carrots, celery, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes with tzatziki. You can also dip your raw veggies in hummus.
- Fresh juices. Another thing you can do is prepare fresh juices in the morning. You can have them with your snacks later during the day.
- Eating raw nuts. Nuts have a lot of health benefits. If you don’t like eating raw nuts you can always add them to your smoothie or you can eat them roasted.
- Greek yogurt and berries. Greek yogurt is high in protein and berries are a great source of anti-oxidants.
There are a bunch of other healthy snack recipes which are fun and tasty to eat. Eating healthy snacks will fill your craving and give your body the nutrients it needs.