We all tend to procrastinate in one way or another. Procrastination is delaying important tasks to do unimportant tasks instead.
Why would we want to complete tasks when we can spend our time doing more enjoyable things like watching a movie, going outside, playing a game, etc.
There are several reasons why people tend to procrastinate. They are due to depression, anxiety, perfectionism, fear of evaluation, lack of energy, or lack of motivation.
The first step to stop procrastinating is to figure out the reason behind it. So, you can start working on strategies to overcome it.
Procrastination is a bad habit. It stops us from reaching our potential. Yes, we can complete the assignment one minute before the deadline. But will that assignment be good?
So, here are a few tips that could help you break this cycle of procrastination:
- Stop waiting for the right time to do the task. I had a habit of waiting for the right time. There is no right time. Take the time you have now and make it right.
- Remember to give yourself breaks after completing the task. We cannot just keep working all day. Our brains need a break to rest. So, give yourself a break after you complete the task.
- Another thing to do is forgive yourself if you procrastinated for a day. I try to be productive every day but, there are some days where I do not feel like doing much. That is okay too. We do not have to be so hard on ourselves. Just remember to make the next day count.
- If you are not starting a few tasks because you think it is a lot of work. You should try dividing them into parts. This will give you enough time to complete everything without feeling drenched.
- Reward yourself after completing tasks. This will make you feel accomplished and keep you motivated to do more because it comes with a reward.
When you enter a cycle of completing your tasks and then enjoying your time. It will give you a great sense of accomplishment. It feels great to do things beforehand instead of delaying them. This will make you feel more productive every day. This way you will not feel guilty for having fun.
Now, the next thing to do is to imagine yourself in a situation five years from now. You have completely failed in your life. All the dreams you had could not be fulfilled. Think about your emotions in this situation. Give yourself time to really imagine this situation.
Now how do you feel?
It is your procrastination that came in the way of your success. You kept delaying things and never ended up working for your dreams and future.
Lucky for us, it was just a situation that could happen if we keep procrastinating. We still have time with us to change the situation. Everything you do from this point should contribute to you not being in that situation.