• Situated in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
• Established 460 years ago – beside river Sabarmati.
• Main deities – holy trinity – Lord Jagannath, Lor Baldevji, Goddess Subhadra Ji.
Idols installed in the temple by sadhu Shree Sarangdas ji.
• Sadavrat – yeoman service – meals every day to 1000 to 1200 needy, poor persons
including saints irrespective of caste, creed and religious distinction.
• Also referred as Ratha-yatra, Ratha-jatra
- ‘Chariot festival’ – public procession in a
chariot carrying a deity.
- • Particularly annual Rathayatra conducted in
Odisha, Jharkhand, Gujarat, West Bengal
and other East Indian states.
- • Chariot carrying holy trinity and the
• Shree Jagannathji temple Rathayatra – introduced in 1878.
Conducted on the Ashadhi Beej every year.
Starts with pahind vidhi – cleaning the way
for the chariots using a golden broom.
Led by 15 to 20 elephants in decorative dress + group of trained athletes performing aerobatics + disciples with
decorative flags of the temple.
Finally comes the Holy Trinity on chariots pulled by devotees.