Garima, is a 16 year old girl , brought new phone . She uploaded some of her pictures on social media . Now a guy started stocking her profile . He took some screenshots of her pictures , and morphed them all with nudes . He sent those nudes to garima and started blackmailing her for sending money . Now what will she do next about this cyber extortion. There are thousands of garima over there who are suffering from same situations .
Acoording to national crime bureau , internet is being used by 71 cr people , among which , 25 cr are women. In this portion of population, 80% of people are being victimized to cyber crimes and 63% of people don’t know where to lodge complaints on cyber crimes.
Cybercrime, are known as computer crime, the use of a computer as an instrument to further illegal ends, such as committing fraud, trafficking in child pornography and intellectual property, stealing identities, or violating privacy.
Manish Kathuria was stalking Ms. Ritu Kohli by illegally chatting on the web site, http://www.mirc.com using her name; and used obscene and vulgur language . He gave the details of her residence and telephone number . Also invited people to chat with her on the phone. As a result, Ms. Ritu Kohli was getting obscene calls from various states of India and abroad, and people were talking dirty with her. She logged FIR in police statio . The police registered her case under Section 509 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860 for outraging the modesty of Ritu Kohli. But Section 509 refers only to a word, a gesture or an act intended to insult modesty of a woman. So this was a 1st case of staking under information Technology act.
In information technology act 2000 , some cyber crimes against women , were described. Which are mentioned below
1. Harassment vie email
2. Cyber Defamation
4. Email Spoofing
6. Cyber Pornography
7. Cyber Sexual Defamation
8. Cyber Flirting
9. Cyber bulling
- Punishment for harassment vie email Harassment vie email is 3 years , acoording to section 354D ( criminal law amendment act 2013 )
- Email Spooning ; Section 66 of the Information Technology Act 2000 mentioned the punishment for cheating by personation by suing a communication device or other electronic devices. It is an offence punishable with up to three years imprisonment and fine up to Rs one lakh ruppe under IT act .section 415 and Section 416 of the Indian Penal Code also deals with this. It’s a Cheating by personation entails cheating by pretending to be the some other person or representing himself to be a person that he is not. The law explains that cheating by personation is committed by those individual who personates himself as the real person.
- For cyber defamation, Section 67 of the IT Act 2000 provides for punishment to whoever transmits or publishes or causes to be published or transmitted any material which is obscene in electronic form with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years and with fine which may extend to 25k on first conviction .
- In the case of morphing , an accused can be punished under section 67 A of IT ACT 2002 , as well as violator can be punished under section 441 of Indian Penal code for criminal trespass, under Section 290 for committing public nuisance and under Section 292 A for printing or publishing grossly indecent or scurrilous matter or matter intended to blackmail and under Section 501 of Indian Penal Code for defamation.
- Cyber Pornography, law related to pornography has been mentioned under section 292 of the Indian Penal code. It deals with the offence of obscenity. In addition Section 354 A of the Indian Penal Code was inserted in the year 2013 dealing with the offence of sexual harassment and also includes a man showing pornographic material to a woman against her will. The punishment under the Information technology act is more stringent in which the offence is punishable with imprisonment up to five years and fine up to Rs ten lakh for subsequent conviction.
More frequently this tech is growing
Much severely cyber crimes are prevailing
This violation of cyber laws can be stopped only by spreading awareness angaisnt the wrong and deceitful use of technology, and by making the punishment more deterrent. Victim in this situation face more mental anguish . This incident can easily destroy the confidence of a woman for her whole life .Technically, web is for learning new ideas and for providing relevant information. This should be used accordingly.
I’m gonna love it if someone comment over my blog . 🙂
A nicely presented article. Well written !!!
Thank you very much