There is no denial that college life is one of the most exciting phases of life and it is an adventure on its own since it would be the first time many of you would live away from your family and friends. There will be many challenges in your way but first is taking your bedroom and fitting it in a small dorm room without overdoing it. To make your life a little easier I would list the things that you really need for college, and of-course this list would be economical!
These are the list of the must have electronics for dorm rooms and few of them are required only if you are sharing your dorm with others.
- Laptop and its charger
- Mobile and its charger
- Extension cord (really important)
- Noise cancelling headphones (very much required when you share dorm)
- Suitable mobile and internet plan
- Based on your food arrangements you can even think of carrying a mini-fridge and microwave if required.
- Bedlamp / study-lamp ( for the late night study without disturbing your room-mate)
These things always help you keep your dorm clean and tidy.
- Laundry baskets and detergent
- Cleaning wipes
- dishwasher / soap
- Cloth hangers
- Cloth dryers and clips
- Floor mat
- Mini broom stick
- Air freshener
Even if you are sharing the washroom with others you have to carry your own toiletries for personal hygiene and make sure you carry a good supply of them which is enough to last for few months.
- Shower Shoes
- Deodorants and body spray (This is really important!)
- Cosmetics ( get the only the ones which you use on regular bases and avoid all the extras since they might consume a lot of space)
- Tooth brush and paste
- Mouth wash
- Hair accessories (only important stuff)
- Towels (at-least 2 )
- Hand towels
Keeping an emergency first aid kit in your room is always recommended but consult the doctor for any serious problems.
- Tablets for headaches , fever and mild body aches
- Antiseptic liquids
- Acne creams
- Any other tablets which your doctor pre scribed should be carried always!
COMMODITIES FOR COMFORT
These things definitely will step up your comfort zone in the dorm. After a long day these things will definitely help you recover and rejuvenate.
- Pillows (At-least 2)
- Blanket (seasonal )
- Sleep mask for eyes
It is wise to always carry some food to your dorm since you never know when the mess/food stalls close, these come in handy.
- Snacks (granola , instant noodles , fruit/nut bars etc avoid bringing fresh cooked foods because they stale in no time)
- Paper utensils like plates , spoons and fork
- A coffee mug
- Water bottle
Obviously there is no need of a list to pack clothes but here are few important mentions just in-case you forgot.
- Always carry comfy night pajamas and shirts.
- Lots of undergarments
- Carry a lot of seasonal clothes especially if you are going to a cold or rainy place to study/work.
- Hand-bag / Wallet (A small and easy to move bags and wallets are always useful to carry cash and cards.)
Packing is of-course not complete without few stationary and study materials.
- Day- Planners and sticky Notes ( keeps your work organised)
- pens , pencils and highlighters
- files and organizers
- college bag
These pretty much sum up all the things that you should pack before going to college. Do remember, find out if there are any objections to bring certain things to the dorms before-hand so that it saves you some slack. Co-ordinate with your room-mate and other neighbors and share things when necessary and most of all carry your essentials bag always with you. With this said , happy freshman year!