Have you ever dreamt of something strange and believed that there would be a hidden message behind it?
Dreams can provide useful insights on our lives. Humans have long sought meaning in their dreams. For centuries, people have questioned the meaning of dreams. According to early civilization they thought it as a medium between humans and the gods. The Greeks and Romans were convinced and believed that dreams could predict the future.
But, Deirdre Barrett, a psychologist and dream researcher at Harvard Medical School said that “There’s really no research that supports that point of view”. “No dictionary or dream interpreter can tell you what a dream really means “, she added.
Several theories based on dreams were studied. THREAT STIMULATION THERORY which tells ” Dreams as a defense mechanism our brains put in place to prepare us for scary events and allows us to face our fears in a safe simulation “. Another such theory, ACTIVATION SYNTHESIS HYPOTHESIS that states ” Dreams don’t actually mean anything, instead they’re merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories “.
On a contrary, psychologist Sigmund Freud though otherwise. According to Freud, ” Dreams are imagery of a wish or impulse from childhood that has since been repressed “. And for this reason Freud studied dreams to understand the unconscious mind. After his study he tells that ” Your dreams reveal your repressed wishes to you “.
- Some 68 percent said that dreams foretell the future, and 63 percent said at least one of their dreams had come true.
- Not all dream are in color. Roughly 12% of people claim to only dream in black and white.
- 70% of your dreams contain secret messages.
- Bad Dreams Can Kill You in Your sleep by Causing a Heart Attack.
- Death in dreams is really about some kind of change or ending you’re dealing with in your real life.
- Children under age of 3 do not dream about themselves.
Some say dreams give a person some hint and on the other hand some disagree. While one cannot come to a conclusion if dreams actually give some hidden messages or not but all that we can say is, it definitely benefits a person. Dreams offer emotional benefits, such as introspection. Dreams can also aid creativity. It is also important for memory consolidation or conflict resolution.