a message about a complete lockdown is going viral on social media platforms. Reports that the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) had recommended the Centre to impose another lockdown from September 25 have gone viral on social media, along with a screenshot claiming to be of the NDMA’s order.
“In order to contain the spread of Covid-19 and decrease the mortality rate in the country, the National Disaster Management Authority, along with the Planning commission, hereby urges the government of India and directs the Prime Minister office, ministry of home affairs to re-impose a strict nationwide lockdown of 46 days starting from midnight September 25, 2020. Maintaining the supply chain of essential commodities in the country, therefore hereby NDMA is issuing a prior notice to the ministry to plan accordingly,” said the “order”.
PIB tweeted that the NDMA ‘order’ in circulation was fake.
“Claim: An order purportedly issued by National Disaster Management Authority claims that it has directed the government to re-impose a nationwide lockdown from 25th September. PIB Fact Check: This order is Fake. NDMA has not issued any such order to re-impose lockdown,” PIB tweeted.
Amid rising coronavirus COVID-19 cases in India, the government on Monday (September 14) rejected reports that another lockdown had been recommended from September 25 to curb the spread of the coronavirus in the country. The news was denied by Press Information Bureau in a post with a “Fake News” alert.
India was under a strict lockdown from March 25 to slow down the spread of the coronavirus. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had imposed a nationwide lockdown in March-end to contain the spread of the coronavirus. All activities were prohibited except essential activities during the lockdown period.
The coronavirus-induced restrictions and the lockdown measures have been eased in a phased manner since June.
The lockdown is being eased in a phased manner since June. The rumours of another lockdown come amidst a surge in coronavirus cases in the country. India is currently the second worst-hit country in the world and has recorded over 48 lakh infections. The country is also registering over 90,000 cases daily for the past few days.
In last few weeks many such fake news was revolving around the corner, stating different rules regarding the next phase being imposed in India. Most of the news was about the rules of unlock guidelines. However, the clicking part was some regulation regarding sectors that will be opened from coming days. There were no proper circular regarding what will open when what other portion of market will remain shut.
The Health Ministry had on September 8 issued a standard operating procedure (SOP) for a partial reopening of schools for students of classes 9 to 12 for taking guidance from their teachers on a voluntary basis.
The SOP follows Unlock 4 guidelines of Home Ministry which came into effect from September 1.
The health ministry issued the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Skill training institutes, Higher Education Institutes conducting courses in technical programs requiring lab work to be permitted from September 21. As per the guidelines, the seating arrangement should be done in an order to ensure a distance of 6 feet between chairs, desks.
Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Ashwini Kr. Choubey shared a picture of the guidelines on his Twitter handle on Sunday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said despite “unlock” measures to open up the economy, citizens must follow all precautions including masks and social distancing until a vaccine is found.