Yoga is the practice of communicating with and exploring your inner self. It includes various postures and meditation to connect and enrich your soul. International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on 21st June to advocate the importance of a healthy lifestyle. It is an excellent way to calm our muscles from the work stress and sharpen our mind. Usually it is performed early morning to start the day fresh and active. It is not just a series of exercise you may wonder, it requires to keep hold of a pose/asana in order to be effective.
Nothing is easy in this world if you don’t have the correct guidance. The speciality of yoga lies in the holding of poses which is quite difficult but on the same hand, teaches patience.
Below are some of the postures to start yoga journey for a beginner:
- Vrikshasana (The Tree pose)
This is a very basic, easy and beneficial pose.
Procedure for Vrikshasana–
- Stand straight with arms at your sides.
- Now bend your right leg with your right foot pointing the left leg. Rest the foot above the left knee and balance it.
- Now slowly stretch your arms out and bring them above your head together. Try to join hands above your head and balance it.
- Focus yourself on a specific point to maintain balance and avoid distraction.
- Keep this pose for as long as 10 -15 seconds as a beginner extending to 30-40 seconds with daily practice.
- Repeat it by keeping your left foot above the right knee.
Advantages of Vrikshasana–
This pose helps balance your body by lifting your weight to one side and also improves focus. The blood circulates with more ease and the some tensions in the back are also resolved by practising this asana. It is a stretching exercise therefore contributing to growth and development of the body in terms of height as well as stamina.
People having leg injury should not perform it.
It is a sitting posture.
Procedure for Padmasana–
- Sit on a mat with back straight, legs folded and arms at your sides.
- Now move your right foot and rest it on the left thigh.
- Shift your left foot and keep it on the right thigh. Take help of your hands in doing so.
- Straighten your back and keep your hands on the folded knees. The hands should be free and not stiff.
- Now take one or two deep breaths and release the pose slowly by moving legs back to a comfortable position with the help of your hands.
- Relax and repeat the same steps once again.
Advantages of Padmasana–
This is a very relaxing pose once you get habitual to it. It aligns the back and strengthens the leg muscles. The deep breaths help in blood circulation and body functioning through lungs and heart. This pose calms the mind and helps release stress and anxiety.
It should not be performed in case of knee injury or back injury.
It is a wonderful pose to increase height.
Procedure for Tadasana–
- Stand straight.
- Now slowly lift your body weight to your toes.
- Stretch up your arms above your head simultaneously.
- When you have balanced to stand on your toes, lock your fingers of both hands together and start stretching yourself higher on your toes.
- Hold it for 10-15 seconds as a beginner extending to 30-40 seconds with practice, once you achieve the highest stretch.
- Release slowly once you are done and repeat it after relaxing for a few seconds.
Advantages of Tadasana–
It stretches the overall body muscles and increases stamina. This asana helps improve focus and maintain balance.
People having any injury in shoulder, legs or back should consult doctor before performing this.
4. Trikonasana (The triangle pose)
It is a standing pose of bending.
Procedure for the triangle pose–
- Stand with your back straight and legs apart (around 3 feet).
- Move your arms parallel to the ground besides your shoulder.
- The arms should be straight throughout and facing down.
- Now slowly bend yourself from the waist area to the right being in the same position of arms and legs.
- Try to touch your toes with your hands keeping your back straight.
- Knees should not be bent.
- Hold the pose for 5 breaths or as per convenience when you have reached maximum of your bend.
- Return to the starting position slowly and repeat it on the other side (left).
Advantages of the triangle pose–
It enhances strength and balance. This pose is good for increasing height and improving flexibility in the waist area.
You should consult a doctor first in case of injury in the waist, hips or a back injury.
It is the seated forward bend pose.
Procedure for Paschimottanasana–
- Sit on a mat with back straight and legs open forward.
- Keep your legs straight and together with toes facing up and heels straight on the ground.
- Stretch your arms bringing them above your head. Grab up your hands.
- Now slowly bend your back to the front by stretching with your straight arms.
- Try to touch your toes with your hands.
- Hold for 2 or 3 breaths once you reach your maximum bend.
- Now slowly come back to the position by straightening your back and moving the arms down.
- Repeat after relaxing for a few seconds.
- Remember to not bend the knees while doing it.
Advantages of Paschimottanasana–
This pose helps improve flexibility, stamina and will power. It also builds confidence and strengthens our muscles.
You should consult a doctor first, in case of knee or back injury.
Importance of Yogasana:
Yoga is a wonderful solution to many health related problems not only physically but mentally as well. It cures many problems and protects from infections and injuries. There are many more yoga postures than stated above which affect our life in a healthy way. These are basic to start. Yoga is the key to happiness when it comes to a busy and tensed life and work stress. Everyone should include it in their daily routine to keep a check of their health and fitness. It is a field of development. The range of postures is limitless and one never gets bored of them when it becomes a part of life. It is suitable for every age group, any gender and is applicable worldwide. The moments of deep breaths make a part of meditation during yoga. The scope of yoga is not at all limited whether in terms of teaching or learning. What limits is the imagination and the lack of motivation in people to pursue it.
Each pose should be done with care and caution. It is very important to execute them properly to earn benefits and save from injury. Yoga is a great way to sharpen the mind, build confidence, stay fit and be healthy. Also, it offers many such health benefits. It all comes with practice and dedication. You need to be regular and determined to adopt it as a habit. The more time you give to it, the more fruitful the result would be.