PM Modi 2.0 Reshuffle Cabinet:
The Union Cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi yesterday expanded its council of ministers, the first such exercise in the third year of his second term. While the cabinet reshuffle was on the cards for a long time, the move comes at a time when the Modi government faces criticism over the alleged mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic. The list of ministers also indicates that due attention has been given to upcoming assembly elections and the 2024 Lok Sabha elections. Day before yesterday, two major political developments took place which indicated that the BJP has started preparing for the polls besides appeasing its allies. In the first development, Thawar Chand Gehlot was appointed Governor of Karnataka to make more space for new ministers. Later in the day, a new ministry was created – the Ministry of Cooperation.
The focus has been on Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal. Uttar Pradesh is the most crucial state for the BJP given the number of Lok Sabha seats. The inclusion of the allies like JD(U), Apna Dal etc. indicates that the Modi government is not willing to let go more of its allies since two of its major partners – Shiv Sena and Shiromani Akali Dal had already deserted the NDA over different issues. The move will boost the confidence of its allies and the same will prove beneficial for the saffron party in the coming polls.
Below is the full list of new ministers in Modi Cabinet:
- Narayan Rane
- Sarbananda Sonowal : Ports and Shipping, AYUSH Ministry.
- Dr Virendra Kumar
- Jyotiraditya Scindia : Civil Aviation.
- Ramchandra Prasad Singh : Steel Ministry.
- Ashwini Vaishnav : Railways, Communication & Electronics and Information Technology.
- Pashu Pati Kumar Paras: Minister of Food Processing Industries.
- Kiren Rijiju : Law and Justice Ministry.
- Dharmendra Pradhan : Education Ministry.
- Raj Kumar Singh : Power and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- Hardeep Singh Puri : Petroleum, Housing and Urban Development.
- Mansukh Mandaviya : Chemicals and Fertilizers, Health Ministry.
- Bhupender Yadav
- Parshottam Rupala
- G Kishen Reddy
- Anurag Thakur : Information & Broadcasting and Sports.
Ministers of State
Anupriya Singh Patel
Satya Pal Singh Baghel
Bhanu Pratap Singh Verma
Darshana Vikram Jardosh
Bhagwat Kishanrao Karad
Rajkumar Ranjan Singh
Bharati Pravin Pawar
Dr Munjapara Mahendrabhai
Dr L Murugan
Kapil Moreshwar Patil
Categories: Editorial, News, News Update
You must be logged in to post a comment.