In today’s technology driven world, people are turning towards less harmful modes of electricity. For many years now, solar power, hydro power, and wind energy have been the main source of electricity across the globe. But now more advanced technology is known to the world and it is being used to create more effective methods. Scientists and engineers are devising methods to create such sources of energy which will reduce the use of conventional resources furthermore. Solar water pumps are another product of that technology. Many people are already enjoying its benefits. Why aren’t you? Are you searching for the best one? We are here to guide you through the whole of it. At the end of this, you will be able to choose the best solar water pump there is and you can enjoy it too.
What to Look For in a “Solar Water Pump”
- Efficiency – Efficiency is the most critical factor to check in the solar water pump. The pump should provide great efficiency to work properly.
- Flow rate – Flow rate defines how fast the water will flow through the pump. More the flow rate, the better. You must remember that the ideal instantaneous water flow rate of a pump must be equal to one-third of its daily consumption.
- Head – The head of the pump represents the increase in energy accumulated by 1 liter of water. It is also an important factor to consider as it may reduce pressure loss.
- Power – The power of the solar water pump should be considered properly. It depends on the conversion of solar energy into electrical energy.
- Speed – Speed is the number of revolutions taken by the pump in a specific interval of time. You need to make sure that you have a high speed pump available.
- NPSH (Net Positive Suction Head) – Net Positive Suction Head is the main factor to keep in mind while buying a solar water pump. It indicates its inability to create absolute volume.
- Raw material – You need to check the raw material used to make the solar water pump. It plays an important role in defining the lifetime of the pump. If the pump is made from weak raw materials, it will not last long and will cost you more for maintenance.
- Quality – Quality is the first and most important factor you keep in mind while buying anything so it applies to solar water pumps too. The quality of a pump varies from company to company and is different for different manufacturers.
- Size – The size of the pump should also be considered before buying it. It depends on your preference where you want to install the pump or for what purpose you are going to use it.
What do we mean by Solar Water Pump and how does it work?
Solar Water Pumps are also called Solar Photovoltaic Water pumping systems. They are designed like the old, traditional water pumps. But the difference is that they are powered by solar energy instead of fossil fuels.
Why use a Solar Water Pump?
There are several purposes for using a solar water pump. Some of them are listed below:
- For pumping water for livestock
- Providing water for farms and residential areas
- For pumping water for crops and irrigation
- Providing water supply for general need in households
- May be used for water treatment
- For pumping fluids across a long distance
And of course, sunlight is free and abundant and water is essential for all living beings. So why not put it to use?
Are they worth it over other conventional options?
Yes, the solar water pumps are worth more than the other conventional options. The main reason is that they are more eco-friendly as compared to the fossil fuels burning for electricity.
Should you just DIY a Solar Water Pump
If you want to experiment with your skills and have much free time on your hands, then you can make a DIY solar water pump at your home. Some of the crucial information you will need to do that is given below:
Main Components of Solar Water Pump
- Solar Cell Module – Solar power generating device that directly converts solar energy into electrical energy.
- Solar Pump Inverter – most important equipment of the photovoltaic system. It controls and regulates the operation of the whole system.
- Water pump, pipeline, and reservoir – To pump, deliver and store water
Typical Design of Solar Water Pump
- Model selection process
- Confirm head and flow rate of the pump
- Confirm solar panel capacity
- Confirm the power of the water pump
- Confirm the inverter
- Selection of cable specification
- Obtain user demand – Daily water demands, the diameter of the well, depth of the well, area to irrigate, average sunshine daily in the area.
Some Specifications of Solar Water Pumps
- Head: 110m
- Flow: 1000/（300*0.8*3.5）= 1.19 m3/h
- Pump selection: pump motor power 1.5kW, flow 1.2m3/H, head 115m
- 1.5KW water pump is equipped with 2.2KW solar pump inverter
- The working voltage of the solar pump inverter is 200V-360V.
Steps of Construction
Step 1: Find a perfect location
- Before building a solar water pump, the most important requirement is finding a perfect location where you want to lace the water pump. So go on the search right away and get back here to start building your solar water pump.
Step 2: Choose the size
- The size of the pump is the main factor to look after while building a solar water pump. It is going to affect the amount of water that can be pulled from a water source. For this, you can use a power cord or simply install a solar panel for reducing any further costs.
Step 3: Assemble the pump
- Assembling the main unit of the pump will be a tiresome job. But it can be easily done by following the instruction manual provided to you with the components of the pump. After you are done assembling the pump, move on to the next step.
Step 4: Add the solar panel
- Now you are building a solar water pump all by yourself, which means you need to keep a check on your budget. So to ensure that you should install a solar panel instead of a power cord. Choose your solar panel properly. It should be large because you want to absorb as much sunlight as you can. In addition, place it at a proper angle, preferably facing the east or west to absorb light effectively during the day.
- After installing the solar panel, attach it to the main unit of the pump so that you don’t have to use a power cord.
Step 5: Cover the pump
- The last important step you need to follow is to cover the pump so that it is not visible as it may not look good in the middle of the garden. If you don’t want it as decor then consider hiding it in a corner.
Step 6: Modify the pump
- A solar water pump will be a feast to the eyes in the garden. To decorate it you can add some flowers, some tree leaves, or other things you want it to design it with. You can be creative and make an excellent piece of decor for your garden or pool in the backyard.
That’s it. You are done. In just these 6 simple steps you will have a perfect homemade solar water pump. You can use it to decorate your garden or place it in a pool.
Pros and Cons of Solar Water Pumps
If you are not sure how to decide about the solar water pumps, check out the listed advantages and disadvantages of the same. You will get a proper image of what to look for in a solar water pump before buying. These will help to change your mind about your preference or maybe make you sure of what you want.
- Zero fuel cost – Solar water pumps are powered by solar energy so it does not require fuels to operate. Fuel adds a significant cost to the cost of the whole solar water pump system.
- Installation costs only – Once you install the solar water pump system, then it only requires sunlight. That means after installation it is free.
- Less labor and maintenance – Solar water pumps require very little labor to operate properly. It also does not require much maintenance. In addition, it reduces the time taken to irrigate the farm.
- Environment friendly – They are sustainable and use non conventional energy sources.
- Can’t pump when it’s dark – However great solar water pumps are but they do need sunlight to operate. So this is the biggest disadvantage of them. They can’t operate when it’s dark.
- High upfront costs – This may be the reason why it is not much use for the farmers because it is not as easily affordable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the important frequently asked questions about solar water pumps.
- How does a solar water pump work?
- It works like any other water pump. The only difference is that it is operated by sunlight.
- What is the use of solar water pumps?
- A solar water pump is useful in irrigation for farms and for extracting water from wells and ponds.
- What are the different types of solar water pumps?
- There are several types of solar water pumps:
- Submersible pump
- Surface pumps
- DC pumps
- AC pumps
- Can a solar water pump be relocated?
- The system once installed can be relocated but it is not recommended. The process is expensive and can cause severe damage to the system.