India is in her 75th year of independence and about to enter the 76th year. India- the 7th largest country by size, the 2nd most populous country and the world’s largest democracy. Celebrating our 75th Independence day, let us have a brief look on some interesting facts about India.
- India has, in the last 100000 years, not once invaded any country. She truly imbibes the spirit of ‘ Vasudhav Kutumbakam’ (‘The whole world is a family’).
- Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus – prominent fields of study in mathematics finding their uses even in physics and all related fields, originated in India.
- The Baily Bridge- the highest bridge in the world, located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains, was built by the the Indian Army in August 1982.
- Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, followed by 25 percent of the world’s population, find their roots of origin in India.
- Jews and Christians have lived in India since 200 B.C. and 52 A.D. respectively. “Unity in diversity” forms the very foundation of India.
- The value of “pi” was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana. He gave the concept of the Pythagorean Theorem in the 6th century, long before the European mathematicians.
- Quadratic Equations were used by Sridharacharya( 11th century). The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 (i.e. 10 to the power of 53) (as early as 5000 BC- Vedic period)
- Ayurveda is the oldest school of medicine known to the whole world (founded by the father of medicine, Charaka, 2500 years ago.) , chess originated in India about 1500 years ago and yoga about 5,000 years ago.
- Bhaskaracharya had calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the Sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. (predicting it to be around 365.258756484 days.)
- India has the third highest number of billionaires (140 billionaires), after USA and China.
- India has the oldest cuisine in human history and the Indian tea dates back to 750 BCE.
- Shampooing is an Indian concept. (earlier herbs were used as shampoo)
Categories: Culture and History, Education, News
You must be logged in to post a comment.