Gender-based violence enormously impacts the mental health of a person. In this case, mental health counseling has a significant role to determine support to gender based violence survivors. Post-violence survivors possibly suffer with depression, anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. Accurate role of mental healthcare prevents the increasing number of GBV; to reduce negative thoughts. Countries having Gender Based violence prevention based on rigid public health models that do not carry mental health components, though GBV must require concepts, competencies and standards of mental health to interdict the GBV. Inequality of gender, gender stereotypes & prejudice, difference of femininity and masculinity capabilities, Upbringing in patriarchal society or mindset aggression, male ego are several elements increasing insensitivity and hideousness and intricate to control the GBV.
1) Mental health professionals well aware of how to help and support the survivors, what are their emotional & psychological requirements in case of physical,verbal, sexual violences, anxiety and depression mental health professional (MHP) capable to encounter accordingly.
2) Counseling is a faithful forum where anyone can be vulnerable, survivors can find it easy to open up & release themselves emotionally in front of mental health Counselors. MHP can maintain solidarity to survivors, value their experience, understand their needs, ensure faith of confidentiality that no word will go out in fact each word will be taken into consideration.
3) In gender-based violence, survivors evidently confront the issue of acceptance and believing. Professionals competent enough to provide acceptance and build confidence in them
4) Survivors need emotional Support as Counselors understand it entrusts emotional assistance.
5) Mental health counseling significantly helps survivors to uplift their lives by feeling confident that helps them to know about themselves and find sustainability on a financial level. Health professionals may support the idea of a high level of self awareness for themselves for more influential results.
6) Different Mental health counseling Programs and survey research increase the efficiency and credibility of Counseling for survivors. Research determines the effectiveness of orientation of work, concluding the conceptual results that enhance the relevance and reliability of surveys.
7) Mental health professionals help survivors to overcome feelings of unwantedness just by listening and understanding their outputs, that give them sufficient emotional support.
8) Mental health counseling must be provided 24×7 through E – Governance and from NGOs online portals. Government initiatives become extremely important regarding gender Based violence, their women empowerment Policies must confirm the positive results on society that ultimately helps women socially.
9) Determining mental health counseling in rural areas is crucial because women, especially in marginalized communities, find it far more difficult to come out and express their needs because of social structure & norms. Mostly do not know what to do in such situations. At this time, mental health counselors untapped them & make them aware of their legal, social and political rights; moreover their human rights.
10) Gender based violence survivors do not know what to do now at first, self doubt engraved in them strongly. Mental health professional advisory assistance supports them to better their condition by doing counseling sessions and penetrating positivity.
11) Cognitive behavioral therapy helpful to reduce mental health issues
12) Psychological counseling for survivors
13) Therapeutic counseling addresses issues like self blame, guilt trauma and much more.
14) Empower survivors to adopt adequate strategies to handle violence and protect themselves.
15) Crisis intervention, free legal, shelter care, supportive groups and psychotherapy to both prevent social isolation and social support.
16) Require sensitive the staff; sensitivity to the person and the problem
17) Maintain privacy and safety for clients.
National human Rights commission Report protection the Rights of LGBTQ community in Covid 19
- No discrimination at health centre, healthcare professionals should be sensitised about it.
- Skill development programmes
- Online classes, provision of education without discrimination
- All different schemes should take into account of gender diversity and vulnerabilities of LGBTQ in terms of eligibility requirements like ID proofs, ensure transgender and interested covered in schemes.
- Medico – legal case for survivors of domestic and sexual violence along with timely treatment, psycho- social support.
- Access to health services at primary health centers, community health and quarantine centers.
- Mental health treatment/therapies and counseling through all district and local hospitals and medical health centers during pandemic.
Listen to and believe survivors because the perpetrator is only responsible for actions. Teach in schools what is to be men and make them aware of their emotional side. Call for responses and services require a mandate for solution. Understanding human values is extremely vital as men have a hard time to evaluate those values, learn the signs of abuse and how we can help and talk extensively and exclusively of gender based violence.
Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary.” — Fred Rogers
You must be logged in to post a comment.